- To be able to develop higher-level skills of the game and physical competencies.
- The aim is to expand on the development of fitness, individual, positional and team skills covered in the Modelling Stage.
- Develop higher-level competition skills through modified games and game sense, where players are provided with appropriate competition through decision making drills to enhance learning.
FOR PLAYERS (& COACHES)
THE WINNING EDGE IS A COMPREHENSIVE PLAYER’S MANUAL WITH A DIFFERENCE. IT EXPLICITLY BREAKS DOWN THE KEY COMPONENTS OF AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL IN DETAIL, EFFECTIVELY ALLOWING A PLAYER TO TAKE CONTROL OF THEIR OWN FOOTBALL DESTINY.
WHEN COACHING YOUNG PLAYERS
- Avoid being authoritarian. Aim to influence your group through positive action, positive behaviours and positive communication.
- Provide reasons why you are doing something, whether at training or on game day. Avoid just telling with no explanation
- Empower your players by giving them ownership into the process.
- Provide many open ended tasks so that players can solve the problem with thought e.g. what if scenarios?
- Be very clear. Provide clarity in everything you are aiming to achieve.
- Provide many opportunities for individualised training.
- Be flexible: know when to push your playing group and when to back off.
- Be understanding and empathetic.
- Be a good listener.
- Gain feedback/player input.
DRILL: RELEASE AND RELOAD
Teach players to spread quickly from the congested area, as well as highlighting the importance of quick hands in close, blocking, instruction and work rate.
When to Use: Most suitable for game sense in a rotational activity scenario.
- Minimum of 16 players.
- The game starts when one side has possession. They have to handball the football to a team mate on the outside and replace them. The other team is defending (no tackling).
- Receiver on the outside cones must be stationary with feet on the ground.
- Once they receive the handball, they then enter the playing arena.
Scoring: For every 4 players released and replaced, that team receives 1 point.