What does it mean to be a leader?
The game of football requires more than just training, competing, and completing assigned tasks. It calls for leaders who can inspire team members to achieve their full potential. Players want to be guided by a person they respect and someone who has a clear sense of direction. To be that person, there are certain things that you must be, know and do. This is what developing leadership skills is all about. To become a good leader you must first know what it means to be a leader.
Leadership can mean a lot of different things to different people. It can be someone who leads by example, somebody who takes charge of a situation, and someone who brings progress. When we think of a leader in Australian Football, most of us think of a strong individual who motivates their team not only with words, but by example as well. One thing that is essential for a person to become a leader is confidence.
Attributes of a Good Leader
- Courage to stand up for what is right.
- Strong convictions: pride in one’s self and that of the team. Be true to yourself.
- Good decision maker.
- Vision: aspirations to aim high. They have a clear vision.
- Empathy/Compassion/Trustworthy: ability to care for others and to treat people fairly.
- Take risks- step outside your comfort zone.
- Role models for others.
- Uphold values of your team.
- Respect: for coaches, friends and yourselves.
- Passionate: make change.